Fill Inquiry Form For Discounted Rates

Check In Date*
No. of Nights*

No. of Adults*

No of Child(0-12 yrs)*

Hotel Category*

No. of Rooms*

Other Service Required
Any Other Requirement / Special Request
Your Contact Information
First Name*

Last Name*

Email Id*

Mobile Number*

City of Residence*

Country of Residence*

Do You Want to Subscribe our Newsletter &
Special Promotional offers?
Idukki Dam History

Idukki History

Idukki History

The Early Idukki history is obscure and there is no clear evidence about the paleolithic age in Idukki history. The Idukki region was part of the ancient Chera country and Kongu Nadu. During 800 –1102 A.D, the High Ranges, consisting of present Devikulam Udumbanchola and Peermade taluks, were part of the Kingdom of Vembolinad in Idukki history. During 16 th Century Major portions of Idukki district came under the rule of Poonjar Raja.


History of Idukki District

The Modern Idukki history of the district starts with the advent of Europen planters to this region. In 1877 Kerala Varma , the Raja of Poonjar leased 227 square miles (590 km2) of Kannan Devan hills to John Danial Manroe, a British Planter. The tract was largely unexplored and covered with thick forest. He formed the North Travancore Land planting and Agriculture society. The members of the society developed their own estates in various parts of Hiranges . Roads were opened , Transport organised, Houses and factories built and productions rose rapidly in the succeeding years. The pallivasal Hydroelectric Project, the first hydroelectric project of the State was initially constructed by the tea companies for the industrial use. Planters were the first migrants to the high range region covered by dense forest. Deforestation process start in the high ranges with advent of the plantation industry by the end of the 19th century. Vast area of evergreen forest were destroyed in connection with the construction of several hydroelectrical projects, Roads, factories etc. Idukki Dam on the Periyar River

The High Range of Idukki attracted Scottish planters in the 19th century and they left behind some bungalows in an around Munnar, which are quite notable for their architectural beauty. Perhaps the most visible one to the tourists is Ladbroke House,which is named after the Ladbroke Square in London. The Trout, coniferous trees and dark green planter's cap are all contributions of those planters.

Munnar had railway lines almost a century back in Idukki history. This started from the KDHP office at Munnar and extended up to Top Station near the Tamil Nadu border. The torrential rain and storm of 1924 destroyed the major part of the rail system and the Mattupetty dam still has the remains of the rail lines. Quite few of the rails are used as electric posts in Munnar. KDHP's tea factory has one of the wheels of the locomotives being kept there.


Idukki Dam History

Idukki has the largest arch dam in India, the Idukki Dam in Idukki history, constructed for the Idukki Hydro Electric Power Project in 1969 with the cooperation of the Canadian Government. This single project powers almost half of the entire state and some parts of neighboring states. Mattupetty Dam is also here.